Counseling Services has offered the Meditation Mob continuously since October 2014.
We're a drop-in mindfulness meditation group open to all Caltech students. No previous experience is required; we offer techniques that are appropriate for everyone from newbies to more experienced meditators. There's no religious component: We offer secular practices that are, whenever possible, based in research.
We meet every Tuesday from 12:00 - 12:50pm via Zoom; you'll need to be logged into Zoom with your Caltech credentials to join.
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose), Meeting ID: 941 9763 1287
If you can't attend in person, we record each week's session and make it available as an MP3. You'll need Caltech IMSS credentials to log in. We're in the process of shifting the archive to this page, so keep checking back for additional past episodes.
What can you expect when you come?
- The first Tuesday of each month will be devoted to concentration practices - that is, focusing on a specific object of meditation and staying with it over time.
- The second Tuesday of each month will be focused on loving kindness practices for ourselves and others.
- The third Tuesday of each month will be devoted to open monitoring practice - that is, mindfulness with no specific object.
- The fourth Tuesday of each month will be focused on loving kindness and self-compassion practices for ourselves.
- If there's a fifth Tuesday in a month, it'll be dealer's choice...if we do something nontraditional or a little bit unusual, it'll be here.
The sessions are facilitated by Lee Coleman, Ph.D., ABPP. Dr. Coleman is an experienced meditator and meditation facilitator. In 2015, he completed the one-year Certification in Mindfulness Facilitation training through the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA. He has also trained with Dr. Zindel Segal, one of the creators of Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy. Dr. Coleman is a member of the International Mindfulness Teachers Association, and has completed a total of 2 months of silent meditation retreats both in the US and internationally.