Violence / Threats
Security can be reached for emergencies 24 hours a day from on-campus telephones by dialing x5000 or from off campus telephones by dialing (626) 395-5000.
- Report all threats of violence-- direct or indirect-- as soon as possible to campus security at (626) 395-5000. Give as many details as possible.
- Report all suspicious individuals or activities as soon as possible.
- Do not put yourself in danger.
- If you hear a violent commotion near you, do not try to see what is happening. Call (626) 395-5000 and take cover.
- Cooperate fully with Campus Security, law enforcement, and medical personnel who respond to a call for help.
Dial x4701 on campus or (626) 395-4701 off-campus for non-emergency responses, such as escorts, reports, or information.
Caltech Emergency Notification System
Make sure you receive immediate notification by entering your contact information into the Emergency Notification System.
In the event of a fire, earthquake or other emergency, members of the Caltech community need information as quickly as possible: Has the campus been closed? Do we need to evacuate or take shelter? What's happening?
Caltech has contracted with Everbridge to provide emergency notification to all Caltech students, faculty and staff using the contact information from access.caltech. To be included in the notification process, at least one valid phone number is required for each person.
For this system to be effective, your access.caltech contact information must be current. To verify or update your contact information, please:
- Go to http://access.caltech.edu
- Log in with your access.caltech username and password
- Go to My Personal Information
- Click on Name and E-mail and enter/verify/correct your primary e-mail address
- Click on Addresses and Phones and review/edit/add phone numbers
Everbridge's mobile app, "Everbridge ContactBridge," will give you the ability to communicate via text and to send photographs of suspicious persons/events directly to Security Dispatch.
You can download the app now for Apple or Google devices.
Campus Emergency Telephones
There are 23 emergency telephones, including 14 on campus, 6 in the California Parking Structure, and 3 in the Catalina Apartments. The phones are "push to talk" and connect directly to the Emergency Communications Center, which is staffed 24 hours a day. The Emergency Communications Center is located at the entrance to the parking structure at 370 Holliston Avenue.