Student Wellness Services  /  Health  /  Insurance


Please visit the Student Benefits page for comprehensive information regarding the student health insurance plan.

Click to view information regarding medical coverage while traveling abroad.

Note: Student Wellness Services are open to ALL currently registered Caltech students regardless of what health insurance you have. If your insurance has changed since your last visit, please inform the front desk.

Your health and wellbeing are important to your academic success. That's why Caltech requires that all registered students have medical and dental insurance — either Caltech insurance or other insurance. For medical, your other insurance must meet Caltech's waiver requirements.

Important Resources

Each summer, eligible students must choose to enroll in or waive the Student Health Insurance Plan and the Student Dental Insurance Plan. Even if you're a returning student (and even if you currently waive), you must make new choices for the upcoming academic year.

As you consider your options, keep in mind:

  • You may waive Medical only if you have other insurance that meets Caltech's waiver requirements.
  • You may waive Dental if you have other dental insurance. There are no other specific requirements.
  • The Student Health Center is always available to you, even if you waive Caltech medical coverage.
  • You may waive Health (if you meet the waiver requirements) but enroll in Dental — and vice versa.
  • You may also enroll your eligible dependents.
  • If you don't make a choice by the deadline, you'll automatically be enrolled in the Caltech insurance for the entire academic year. The applicable costs will be charged to your bursar's account.
  • You cannot waive unless you experience a special enrollment event (e.g., marriage or birth).
  • You may only enroll or waive within 31 days of a special enrollment event (e.g., marriage or birth).

Leaving Caltech? Learn about your options for continuing coverage.

Please visit the UnitedHealthcare Student Resources (UHCSR) Enrollment/Waiver Portal in the Summer to make your selection.

If you're a registered Caltech undergraduate or graduate student, you're eligible for Caltech student Medical and Dental insurance.

For an additional charge, you may also enroll your spouse or domestic partner and eligible dependent children.

Coverage is required! All registered students must have medical and dental insurance — either Caltech insurance or other insurance that meets Caltech's waiver requirements.

Dependent Coverage

Although you can add an eligible dependent to your Caltech Student Health coverage, you might find it to be more cost effective to cover your dependent via other coverage such as:

  • Your spouse or same sex domestic partner's employer-sponsored plan
  • Covered California, which offers affordable health insurance under the Affordable Care Act (Health Care Reform)

Please keep in mind that there are limits on when you can enroll a dependent in coverage. For example, when you have a new child, you must enroll your child in a health insurance plan (through Caltech, another employee, or Covered California) within 30 or 31 days of the child's date of birth.

Covered California

Covered California is the state's health insurance marketplace, created under the Affordable Care Act. It offers a range of choices of private health insurance plans. You can choose the health plan and level of coverage that best meets your needs and budget. You can remain in the Caltech plan and still enroll your dependent in a Covered California plan.

For additional information, visit Covered California for some helpful Covered California FAQs and videos.

Click here to view costs.

If you graduate, withdraw or take a leave, your Caltech Student Health Insurance Plan benefits end on the last day of the insurance term for which you last enrolled as a degree-seeking student.

Fall: September 1 - December 31
Winter: January 1 - April 30
Spring: May 1 - August 31

Once coverage ends, you can choose to purchase continuation coverage for up to six months.

Continuation Coverage When You Graduate (or Withdraw)

By paying the full cost of the Student Health Insurance Plan premium rate, you may continue full benefits coverage for up to 6 months immediately after you graduate or withdraw.

To continue your coverage, you must complete and return the UHC Continuation Enrollment Form within 14 days from the end of the insurance term for which you were a registered student. You can find the cost for coverage on the form.

Contact UHC's customer service at (888) 251-5640 for any questions about the Continuation Plan.

Extension Coverage When You Go On Leave (including an approved medical leave)

If you begin an approved leave you can continue coverage for up to three consecutive insurance terms. For cost information and to enroll, please contact the Benefits Office (

If your leave goes beyond three consecutive terms, you will be eligible to purchase the extension coverage through UHC for an additional six months.

Our Student Health Insurance Plan covers care you may need beyond what our Student Health Center and the Counseling Center can provide. For example, if you become seriously ill or injured, your insurance will help you pay for hospitalization and specialist care.

Designed specifically for Caltech students, the plan covers all types of medical and mental health care — routine, urgent and emergency — while you are on campus, at home, and even traveling abroad. You can receive care from the best local doctors near campus as well as a large national network of top-quality doctors.

How the Plan Works

The Student Health Insurance Plan is provided through UnitedHealthcare Student Resources (UHCSR).

  • Doctors: You may receive care from any doctor or hospital. But the Plan pays more — and you pay less — when you use UHCSR Preferred (PPO) doctors.
  • Routine Office Visits: When you go to a UHCSR doctor for a routine office visit, you pay a $15 copay. Any extra care, such as lab work or x-rays, is subject to the plan's deductible and coinsurance.
  • Prescription Drugs: When you use UHCSR Preferred (PPO) pharmacies, you will be charged the lesser of the drug cost or set flat copays. Click here for the Prescription Drug List.
  • Other Covered Services: You first pay a $250 annual deductible (per person). Then the Plan pays 80% when you use providers in UHCSR's PPO network.
  • Out-of-Pocket Maximum: Once your costs reach the $1,500 annual out-of-pocket maximum, the Plan pays 100% for eligible services for the rest of the policy year.
  • Telehealth: With our new Telehealth benefit, available through HealthiestYou, you can connect with a U.S. Board-certified doctor 24/7, 365 days a year via your phone, tablet, or computer, usually within an hour. You can use the Telehealth service at no cost to you if you are enrolled in the Caltech Student Medical Plan (otherwise, you can use the service for $40 per visit). Register today so you'll be all set to use Telehealth when you need it.

Be sure to set up your UHCSR MyAccount to access your ID card and online services.

Download the UHC StudentResources App using the links below so you can easily access your ID card and information about your coverage at any time.

UHC StudentResources App (Android)
UHC StudentResources App (Apple)

For Additional Information

Or call UHCSR at (888) 251-5640.

Leaving Caltech? Learn about your options for continuing coverage.

Going overseas? Learn about your medical coverage while traveling abroad.

Our dental insurance provider is Delta Dental PPO. Our vision insurance provider is EyeMed. Please click the following links for more information.

UHCSR Resources (PDFs)

UHCSR Medical Claim Form

  • Medical Claim Form
    • Claim forms and relevant documentation may be submitted using one of the following methods:
      Mail: UnitedHealthcare StudentResources, P. O. Box 809025, Dallas, TX 75380-9025 (This is listed on your ID card)
      Email: A scanned copy of the completed form to
    • Please refer to the instructions on the form for detailed guidelines

United Healthcare Mail Order Prescription Forms

Kevin C. Lee, HR Insurance Specialist

Our UnitedHealthcare Insurance Liaison is Kevin C. Lee who is available to answer any questions you may have about the student health insurance. Please call or send an email to set up an appointment.

Mon - Fri
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
1239 Arden Rd.
Mail Code 1-8
Pasadena, California 91125
Health (626) 395-6393 | Counseling (626) 395-8331
(626) 585-1522