skip to main content
October 18, 2023

Currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to receive services. While spouses of students are not eligible for services at the Center, referrals to other agencies and private therapists are available by calling Counseling Services and asking for assistance with a community referral.

Each year between 17-21% percent of all Caltech students come to Counseling Services for help. The reasons they seek help vary, but students do come for help with the day-to-day issues they (and people in general) face like stress, procrastination, cultural adjustment, and relationships. Additionally, some students come for help with concerns that involve depression, eating disorders, substance use/misuse, and anxiety among other reasons.

There is no charge to students for services provided by the Center or for office visits with our consulting psychiatrist, when the referral is made by a Counseling Services provider.

We are committed to ensuring that students are seen as quickly as possible. Initial appointments are generally scheduled within 1-3 days from the time of the initial request. Students who are experiencing a crisis or whose concerns cannot wait until the next available appointment should let the front desk staff know that they have an urgent concern and will be accommodated for a same-day appointment.

While we don't have a specific session limit, we generally offer goal-oriented, brief therapy services. This means that we work with students to identify needs, set manageable goals, and track progress, as well as connect students with appropriate campus-based and community resources. If a student wants or needs longer-term therapy, has concerns that require multiple sessions per week, or are in need of a higher level of care, Counseling Services staff works with students to find a referral in the community to ensure that treatment needs are met.

If a student is referred off-campus for longer-term treatment or specialized care, Counseling Services staff will work to connect the student with a psychiatrist in the community for on-going medication management.

We encourage people to call and ask for our advice whenever they are concerned about another person and are unsure of to how to help. We can provide coaching, offer alternative resources, and also help identify more urgent situations, such as when a student is considering suicide, that require immediate help.

Student Wellness Services does not provide documentation for disability accommodations, emotional support animals, housing, or dining exceptions. Practitioners are able to provide referrals to off-campus providers for neuropsychological assessment, psychoeducational evaluations, or other documentation needs. Student Wellness Services providers can consult with an assessor or off-campus provider (with a signed release of information) if the student has been in treatment or the provider has information to contribute to the evaluation and documentation process.

Please visit the Caltech Accessibility Services for Students (CASS) website for full information on the accommodation process.

Read more about emotional support animals on the CASS website.

Mon - Fri
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
1239 Arden Rd.
Mail Code 1-8
Pasadena, California 91125
Fax(626) 585-1522