What to Expect
Updated March 16, 2020
In accordance with the recommendations from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Counseling Services will offer telephone-based brief counseling and crisis management instead of face-to-face meetings until further notice. Here's what you need to know:
- To schedule a telephone appointment, call the front desk at (626) 395-8331 during our normal business hours, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, M-F.
- Telephone appointments will generally be 20-30 minutes long unless you and your clinician agree that more time is needed.
- Your clinician will call you at the time of your appointment. It is important that you are available to answer the phone at the agreed-upon time. The call may come from an on-campus number, and in some situations, it may appear as a blocked or unknown number. Please answer the call anyway, even if you do not immediately recognize the number.
- If you do not answer the phone, your clinician will try to call you again in 5 minutes, and then once more 5 minutes after that. If you do not answer any of those calls, you will have missed the appointment and will need to contact the front desk to schedule another one.
- Please ensure that at the time of your phone appointment, you are someplace where you can talk privately.
- If your phone is set up to automatically reject calls from unknown or blocked telephone numbers, please temporarily disable this setting.
- If the call is accidentally disconnected, your therapist will initiate the callback.
All of the clinicians at the counseling center are licensed professionals. We abide by California laws that protect client confidentiality, and we recognize that you need to feel confident that your information and treatment is treated with privacy and respect. You can find more information about this and answers to other common questions in the FAQs.